Pierre Gasly has been promoted to Red Bull for next season of Formula 1 racing, the Milton Keynes based outfit confirmed on Monday.
The Frenchman made his debut run at the Malaysian Grand Prix last season with Toro Rosso and got a full-time seat at the outfit for 2018.
Gasly got his best ever result at Bahrain GP this year. His fourth-place finish at Bahrain was also Honda’s best result since their return to the series in 2015.
He also came seventh at Monaco, and sixth in Hungary, showing his capability when the car works right.
After Daniel Ricciardo announced his move to Renault, Gasly was the top contender for the spot, along with Carlos Sainz Jr.
Last week McLaren confirmed Sainz as Fernando Alonso’s replacement, which effectively meant Gasly will take the Aussie’s seat at Red Bull.
Christian Horner, Red Bull’s team boss, said the Frenchman’s “stellar performances” in the last few races have “enhanced his reputation as one of the most exciting young drivers in motorsport”.
“Since Pierre first stepped into a Formula 1 seat with Scuderia Toro Rosso less than a year ago he has proved the undoubted talent that Red Bull has nurtured since his early career,” said Horner.
“We look forward to Pierre bringing his speed, skill and attitude to the team in 2019.”
Gasly won the GP2 Series title in 2016 and then went to Super Formula for a year to get ready for Formula 1.
“It has been my goal to race for this team since I joined the Red Bull Junior Driver Programme in 2013,” said Gasly.
“This incredible opportunity is another step forward in my ambition to win grands prix and compete for world championships.
“Red Bull has always looked to fight for championships or victories and that’s what I want.”
The Frenchman wants to “do everything I can to give them a season to celebrate” in the rest of the season to show his appreciation for the team and especially for the team boss Franz Tost.