The delay that could put Mercedes in a spot 

Mercedes spec B engine could be delayed once again and the holdup may impact the German outfit’s performance.

The Silver Arrows outfit wanted to introduce its second engine for the season ahead of the Canadian GP. But a last-minute reliability issue forced the team to postpone the release.

Mercedes is said to have made the necessary changes and continue its reliability testing on the Dyno. But since each engine has to last seven races, it is likely the test is still underway. They may take a final call at the last minute.

Mercedes could conduct the Friday testing on the old engine, thereby giving the dyno another day worth of run. This would mean FP3 will start on a new engine on Saturday if they get the go-ahead.

If that does not happen, the German manufacturer may be forced to use a new version of their Spec A engine, which would force them to run seven races without the advantage of upgrades.

In case the spec B is proven by next few races, they could put the newly changed spec A back to the pool to reuse in low power circuits like Budapest.

Talking about what might happen, Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton said: “At the moment, I don’t know. I think I might have one of my new engines out of my three, which is good enough. The engine that we’ve used for the first seven races has been a great engine.

“A fresher, newer version of that is going to be great, and have more power than the [high mileage] one I raced in the last race, obviously. And so I personally am not concerned. I think tomorrow or the next couple of days we might have a better understanding of where we stand with that.”

When asked how he feels about losing the advantages of an upgraded engine, Hamilton said he fully believes in Andy Cowell and his team.

“It is all about tiny margins. Let’s just wait and see. Coming into this weekend, I’ve been on the phone to Andy this week, last week and into this week, and I have absolute full confidence in him and the guys.

“I don’t really want to say too much at the moment, because I don’t know what Andy is planning, but I trust that whatever decision those guys make will be for the right reasons.”

What’s your Reaction?
+1
0
+1
0
+1
0
+1
0
+1
0
+1
0
+1
0

Leave a Comment